Saturday, February 27, 2010

Freezer Cooking Baby Steps

I have started to research the idea of freezer cooking, otherwise known as Once a Month Cooking. At this point I am not organized or stocked enough to cook and freeze once a month so I have made some notes and decided that for me, I need to start with breakfast. The kids are out the door super early so unless I want to wake up at 5am, which I don't, it is a rush to cook and eat a hot breakfast. I don't like my kids to have cereal every day so this is why I decided to start here in my Freezer Cooking Adventure. My first attempt will be to make and freeze pancakes, waffles, and biscuits. These are 3 things my kids LOVE, are costly and not very nutritious to buy already frozen, and make a nice warm breakfast before school.

What I have found is that cooking each just a little underdone and then flash freezing is a good way to start. Now if you are very new to this, as I am you are probably wondering what flash freezing is. So, let me tell you what I learned. Flash freezing is simply lining a cookie sheet with waxed paper and freezing your food on this. Once frozen, you transfer the food to your freezer storage (aka ziplock or containers or combo of both.) Flash freezing keeps the food from sticking together. So far I have flash frozen some bananas but, you can flash freeze rice, pancakes, waffles, meatballs, shredded cheese and so many other things!

So, here I go to start my pancakes. I'll let you know how it turns out.



No comments: